When it comes to drug addiction, the truth is that those struggling with mental health conditions are more susceptible to falling victim. This can become very difficult when patients who suffer from conditions like depression or anxiety are more likely to develop a dependency on opioids when prescribed things like morphine as a form of pain killer. The Hope Centers of Central Florida are a form of suboxone clinic that is dedicated to helping victims of opioid addiction receive help. If you live in Orlando, know that suboxone treatment is an option for your or someone you love who is struggling with opioids.
The Connection of Opioids and Mental Health Conditions
While opioid addiction is possible for anyone to fall victim when prescribed them as pain killers, it’s no secret that those with mental health conditions are significantly more likely to develop the dependency. Why is this? The truth is that there are several reasons why. First of all, the numbers are not in favor of those suffering from mental health conditions. About 16% of Americans suffer from such disorders, and yet nearly half of all opioid prescriptions are given to this 16% alone.
Already, we can see a correlation based on the level of exposure mental health patients have to opioids as pain killers. In addition to this, there are a few other metrics that can influence this:
- Opioids may not work as effectively
- Pain is something many patients with mental health conditions suffer from. This can mean that a dosage normally prescribed to a patient without such a disorder may not be as effective, and a higher dosage could be prescribed. A higher dosage means an easier time developing a dependency.
- Traumas that lead to mental health conditions can also lead to drug addiction
- Mental health conditions are often the result of a number of physical and/or emotional traumas that the patient may encounter through life. Many of these traumas also drive people to drug addiction.
- Mental health patients are more likely to seek escapism
- Mental health disorders can plague someone and leave them unhappy and just wanting to escape. Drug abuse can easily provide this element of escapism temporarily. Patients noticing this effect while taking opioids as pain killers an inadvertently discover the medicine’s effect and develop an addiction.
Seeking A Suboxone Clinic
If you or someone you know is suffering from opioid addiction, know that suboxone treatment is available to you or them through a clinic. Drug addiction is no laughing matter and can easily diminish one’s quality of life. To make matters worse, these medicines can cause us to develop physical dependencies, and simply dropping the drug can send us through dangerous withdrawals. Specialists can help provide the tools needed to effectively recover from this.
Contact Us for Suboxone Treatment
If you or someone you know is struggling with opioid addiction or withdrawal, then there’s no time to lose. If you live in Orlando, then contact us today. Seek the help of our nearest suboxone clinic so that you can get the help you need to get back on your feet.