Heroin addiction can be very dangerous. It is a destructive path that never seems to see the light. If it is not taken care of or treated for, it can end in devastating circumstances. That is where our team of experts come in. Hope Centers of Central Florida specializes in heroin treatment. We want to ensure that you understand the many dangers and side effects of heroin addiction. Our Orlando treatment center is here to keep you protected.
What is Heroin?
Discovered in 1874 and commercialized in 1898 by pharmaceutical giant Bayer, heroin was intended to be a less-addictive and less-toxic synthetic version of morphine. Unfortunately, it didn’t turn out that way. Heroin is actually two to three times more potent than morphine and is highly addictive. Despite the fact that heroin could no longer be legally purchased after 1920, it became the most widely used opiate in the US and worldwide by the late 1920s. Heroin is still considered the most addictive drug in the world, with one of the highest overdose rates. According to the New York times, drug overdose is the leading cause of death for Americans under 50 years old.
What are the dangers?
- Addictiveness: Heroin is considered one of the most addictive drugs in the world. In a 2007 comprehensive study of illicit drugs, heroin yielded the highest score for addictiveness.
- Risk of Overdose: Heroin overdoses have increased over the past decade with a sharp spike from 2012 to 2015. When heroin users take a high dosage, their breathing slows drastically which causes hypoxia. Hypoxia can produce permanent brain damage, put the user into a coma, or cause death.
- Long-Term Bodily Damage: Recent data shows that the majority of heroin users inject the drug, which has some possible long-term consequences. Infectious diseases like Hepatitis and HIV spread when multiple people share syringes. Also, the additives cut into heroin can cause permanent damage to the liver, kidney, and blood vessels.
- Legal Risks: The legal ramifications of possessing heroin and for selling it are significantly higher than many other drugs because the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) classifies heroin as a “Schedule I” drug.
Heroin Treatment is The Answer!
- Are you aware of the many forms of heroin? Here are the three you must be mindful of:
- Brown heroin falls between the other two forms, having a medium potency.
- White heroin is the purest and therefore has the strongest potency of the forms.
- Black Tar
- Due to the crude processing, black tar heroin has the least amount of heroin in it.
Check Our Orlando Treatment Center
We are experts in heroin treatment. With our trusted and experienced clinical team and state-of-the-art treatment facility, we can help you get started on the road to lasting recovery. We want to get rid of the effects of opioid addiction. Let our team of caring professionals partner with you on your journey to recovery. Our trained professional’s ultimate goal is to get our patients on the track to the cure. Opioid dependence is a disease that needs to be treated seriously. Hope Centers of Central Florida is the best Orlando treatment center. Call or visit us today to schedule an appointment or ask us about our services. We are a rehabilitation center specializing in opioid dependence.